Nebraska Adoptions

Learning Center

Find free adoption tips, a video library of how the Nebraska adoption process works, and answers to adoption FAQs

How The Nebraska Adoption

Process Works

Nebraska Stepparent Adoption process

Coming Soon

kinship adoption process

Coming Soon

Adoption FAQs

Can I use the stepparent adoption forms if the other parent doesn't agree to the adoption?

No, we don’t recommend it.  Adoptions are complex and you need an attorney’s guidance if the absent parent does not agree with the adoption.

Can I do the adoption if the other parent has abandoned my child?

Abandonment must be proven in court and the evidence needed can vary from case to case.  Our recommendation is to consult with an experienced adoption attorney if you believe that the other parent has abandoned your child.

How can I adopt my stepchid?

To adopt your stepchid in Nebraska, you must qualify to adopt, and you must file the appropriate legal forms in the county court where you reside to legalize the adoption. 

Is it possible to do an adoption without a lawyer?

We don’t recommend completing an adoption without an attorney, but some stepparent adoptions can be relatively easy to complete.  For instance, if one biological parent is deceased, or their parental rights have been terminated, it makes it easier to complete the stepparent adoption process in Nebraska.

Adoption Legal Services

Need an attorney’s help?

If you decide to hire an attorney to assist you in finalizing your adoption, we are happy to help! Book a call with us at Bundy Law LLC.

Contact us


P.O. Box 45873, Omaha, NE 68145